Wednesday 10 March 2010

Snowdon Horseshoe, 10th March 2010

Today saw Rich (Billy No Mates) attempting a solo round of the Snowdon Horseshoe!

I’ve climbed Snowdon quite a few times now but I’ve always been in the company of walkers rather than climbers and have never had the chance to do the horseshoe. Time to get this one put to bed!

I set my alarm for 3:00am with the aim of arriving at the Pen y pass car park at sunrise. Having packed my gear the night before I was on the road by 3:15am along with a travel mug of coffee and some toast to keep me going.

I arrived just as the sun was rising and the weather was good; a slight breeze, light cloud and -1c. By 6:30am I was on my way and within 15 minutes the lack of hill walking since Christmas was starting to show, I was out of breath and wondering if I would even get one hill climbed let along 4! After a quick rest, I mopped my brow and adjusted my pace.



The climb up to Crib Goch was relentless with snow and ice from 600m. Reaching the ridge gave no let up as the going is quite tricky until you get to grips with the fact that the snow you’re walking on is actually just a cornice and the ridge is only 10cm wide in places.


Here is a video of the ridge (for those interested in having a go)


There is a group of pinnacles once you pass the summit and these make a pleasant place to scramble up (another excuse for a rest).
On to the next summit, Garnedd Ugain. This was a much easier hill once passed the scrambles of the ridge but, by now, the wind had picked up and I was in the cloud. The wind was blowing in from the west and the summit I was now stood on had, up to this point, been protecting me. The temperature change was dramatic and I was struggling to see with icy spin drift being blown into my face.

The wind stayed with me all the way to the summit of Snowdon where I found some shelter to grab a quick sandwich.




Once on the descent, I was out of the wind and cloud and my route to Y Lliwedd was clear.



The round trip took just under six hours and is something I’ll definitely do again. If you have done and enjoyed Sharp Edge, Striding Edge and Jacks Rake (Verdes must do’s), then the horseshoe is a good next scramble to have a crack at!

No comments: