Saturday 23 August 2008

Scafell Pike via Corridor Route (with slight deviation). 22nd August 2008



As a recce trip for next weeks challenge, Rich S and Davie headed off to the Lakes to try out the Corridor route to Scafell Pike.

A first for our two heroes, as ascent is usually via Esk Hause or Wasdale.

We made good time to Sty Head, but probably too fast a pace for next week. Sty Head was busy, it being a nice day and Bank Holiday weekend, so we decided to head over to Napes Needle to have our sandwiches and for Rich to thread the Needle.

Finding the Needle, as usual, was a hilarious affair; is that it Davie? have we passed it? that looks like it..no wait, no it's not..' and so on.

We got some snaps of Rich heading up and as we got to the crossover point, we got the rope out for psychological solace.



Once I'd belayed Rich it was then time for the Classic abseil. They say that any technique with the prefix 'Classic' is bloody painful and I must confess that with nothing between the crown jewels and the rope but my Ron Hill Tracksters, my new name is Davina.

When I got to the bottom, We had been joined by a guy called Rod who was doing 60 mountains at 60 and was recceing the Needle for a future threading.
As the rope was already out (and with an ML assessment looming), I asked if he would he would like me to belay him on his attempt. He had no hesitation and as we got him tied in, I realised I was going to have to climb back up the crack!

Idiot!

However, as usual the nerves evaporated once I got underway, but it is a very polished route and not designed for big guys. I got the belay set up and talked Ron all the way to the top. With a quick 'Ali shuffle' at the crux point, we swapped sides and I lowered him down the other side.




Excellent! and Rod was over the moon that we'd helped him achieve something that could have been potentially dangerous for him if he'd gone it alone.

Leaving 'Davina' with the Classic abseil, round 2.

The second one wasn't quite so bad, but that's probably because I used the same groove worn in my crotch from the first one.

We had our lunch then set off for Scafell Pike, over the other side of the pass. It was a good old walk and very busy once we got back to Sty Head.

The Corridor route is excellent and could be a good, less steep but longer route for next week.

Got some snaps on top, just as Mountain Rescue appeared flew round us and then off to the Napes area on Great Gable.




My heart sank as they dropped flares around the area we'd been in with Rod and I worried that something awful had happened. They hovered for ages before flying off and doing the same at Pillar and the red screes area.

Bas**rds! they gave me heart failure!

Descent was again via Corridor and Sty Head and total journey was 7hrs 50.

Great day out - for me, it was up there with Skye.

Davie


No comments: